A valid Washington County Short-Term Rental License is required for all Short-Term Rentals in the unincorporated areas of the County. The definition of a Short-Term Rental (STR) is: property that is occupied, possessed or used by any person or entity for transient lodging where the term of occupancy, possession, or use is offered for twenty-nine (29) consecutive calendar days or less, for direct or indirect compensation or other consideration.
Washington County’s STR ordinance was adopted in October of 2021 and STR licenses will need to be renewed on an annual basis. Please allow 10-14 business days for processing after a completed application has been submitted.
Short-Term Rental License Procedures and Checklist:
- Apply for the Owner Occupied Primary Residential Exemption through the Assessor’s Office.
- Complete the Short-Term Rental Business License Application through the Clerk/Auditor.
- Make sure that your STR is up to current building codes. A Health and Safety Check may be required by a County building inspector.
- Application fee for an existing dwelling is $135.00, which includes a Health and Safety Check. The Health and Safety Check may be waived if the dwelling is currently under construction and is following all building permit processes and inspections.
- Be prepared to provide a site plan of the property, the septic permit, and applicable photos of the dwelling.
- Proof of insurance with a landlord endorsement allowing Short-Term rentals is required.
- Obtain the Good Neighbor Brochure and display in a visible area of the STR, alongside the appropriate issued Licenses, and contact information for the owner or property manager.
The Clerk/Auditor Department will be happy to assist with any questions or concerns regarding the Licensing process. Please don’t hesitate to Contact Us.