History

Original Monument for Southwest Corner of Utah

The monument for the Southwest Corner of Utah is a monument for three states — it marks the location of the Southwest Corner of Utah, the Northwest Corner of Arizona, and the East line of Nevada.

The original corner location for the sandstone column monument was established in the year 1870 on what surveyors believed to be the 37th parallel north latitude at mile 298 and 56 chains from the Initial Point to the north on the Central Pacific Railroad. A 1901 resurvey determined the original location for the corner was 111.51 chains (1.4 miles) too far north. The old monument was placed upside down and the new markings for the 1901 monument were on the other end of the original monument.

In 2016, re-monumentation was discussed and the area was again surveyed. The existing monument was a red sandstone column that had a shaft of about six feet long, 16 inches wide and 12 inches thick. It was marked with letters 1½ inch square deeply engraved in the stone. There are four sides to this monument, with the NEVADA, UTAH, ARIZONA and INTL. MONT 37 N.L. 1901 on the faces. This monument stood 3 – 3½ feet off the ground, and was in decent condition.

In 2017, the Utah Council of Land Surveyors, in cooperation with the BLM replaced the sandstone monument with a granite monument seen today. The original sandstone monument with 1:70 markings from the other end are on display at the Washington County Administration Building in St. George, Utah.

Original Monument (1870 – 2016)

Current Monument (2016 – Present)

Monument Location