Business licenses will be issued by the Washington County Clerk/Auditor’s office for the areas in the county which are not incorporated. If a business is to be located within an incorporated city boundary, you may apply with the appropriate city office.
Business License Procedures and Checklist
- Apply with State Commerce Department for business name registration. You can apply by calling (877) 526-3994 or go online to corporations.utah.gov. You will receive a registration number from the state which will be included on the business license application.
- Fill out the Washington County Business License Application along with any and all verification paperwork or permits from the state or federal agencies required and return to the Clerk/Auditor’s office for payment (prices are located on the application) and review. Monday – Friday 8 am to 4:30 pm. Phone number (435) 634-5712. It may take several days to review the application and to have the Community Development Department sign off and approve the zoning requirements.
- If your business qualifies for a Minor Home Occupation Business you may be entitled to the fee waived. Please see the Minor Home Occupation Business paperwork for further information.
Some types of businesses MAY require the following:
- Federal Identification Number. See irs.gov for more information.
- Sales Tax Number if items are sold. See corporations.utah.gov for more information. Or the local number for the Utah State Tax Commission is (435) 251-9520.
- Provide copy of your Utah State License. See dopl.utah.gov or contact the Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing at (801) 530-4849 for more information.
- Health Permit from the Southwest Utah Public Health Department. The local number is (435) 986-2580 for more information.
- Department of Agriculture Licenses. See ag.utah.gov/businesses or the local number is (435) 634-5708 for more information.
For a Beer License these steps MUST be taken:
- Once the application has been submitted to the Clerk/Auditor’s Office, continue on with the Beer License Procedures.
- A background check must be done. Go to bci.utah.gov. Click on "Obtain a copy of your criminal history", then click on "Application for Criminal History" and follow the instructions on the application. For any questions you can contact the Bureau of Criminal Investigations (BCI) at (801) 965-4445. Have the background check returned to:
Washington County Clerk Attn: Business Licenses 197 E Tabernacle St George, UT 84770 (Google Maps)
Washington County Justice Court 87 N 200 E, #301 (3rd Floor) St George, UT 84770 (Google Maps) Hours: Monday – Thursday 9 am to 4 pm. Walk in only
Complete the Business License Application and bring to the County Clerk/Auditor Department.
For Renewals, complete the Business License Renewal form and bring to the County Clerk/Auditor Department.
For Home-Based Businesses, complete the Minor Home Occupation Business form and bring to the County Clerk/Auditor Department.