Business License Information

A Business License will be issued by the Washington County Clerk/Auditor’s Office (after a review and payment) for the unincorporated areas within the county. If a business is located within a City or Town, please see the appropriate offices.

General Information

BUSINESS NAME REGISTRATION: If you are using any name other than your given name for your business, you must first apply with the State Department of Commerce for business name registration. They can be reached at 801.530.6701 or at their website You will receive a registration number from the state which must be included on the business license application.

SALES TAX: Sales tax is generally charged on sales of tangibles, or services to tangible, personal property items. If your business will be collecting sales tax, you must first apply with the Utah State Tax Commission to obtain a sales tax number. They can be reached at 435.251.9520 or at their website The location code must reflect unincorporated Washington County (27000) and must be included on the business license application.

STATE LICENSES: Those requiring state licensure (architects, contractors, cosmetologists, etc), must first obtain a license from the Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing. They can be reached at 801.530.4849 or at their website Your state license number must be included on the business license application.

HEALTH PERMITS: Those requiring permits from the health department can do so with the Southwest Utah Public Health Department. They can be reached at 435.673.3528 or at their
website Your permit must be included with the business license application.

EIN: Those requiring a (federal) employer identification number must first obtain the number from the IRS. More information can be found on Your EIN must be included on the
business license application.

Short Term Rentals

Short term rentals are permitted for a single family dwelling, or the accessory dwelling, if it is owner-occupied. To qualify as an “owner-occupant” there shall be a primary residential exemption on the lot or parcel as determined by the Washington County Assessor’s office. The owner shall be a permanent, full time resident at the same address.

The short term rental ordinance can be found in Title 10 Chapter 13 Section 23.

For more information regarding primary residential exemption, visit the Washington County Assessor’s page here.

Home Occupations

Home occupations are regulated by Title 10 Chapter 26.

There are two categories of home occupation licenses – Major Home Occupation and Minor Home Occupation. A guide to the differences between these designations can be found here. The Community Development Department can also assist you in determining which category your proposed business falls under. If you are deemed a Major Home Occupation, you will need to complete a business license application. Minor Home Occupations do not require a business license; a courtesy license can be issued to you if needed.

Please note that home occupation licenses may require annual health and safety inspections, fire inspections, or inspections as required based on the business type.

Beer Licenses

Once the application has been submitted to the Clerk-Auditor’s Office, continue with the Beer License Procedures.

A background check must be completed through the Bureau of Criminal Investigations. Once there, click on “obtain a copy of your criminal history” and then “application for criminal history” and follow the instructions on the application. For more information, contact the Bureau of Criminal Investigations at 801.965.4445 or The background check should be returned to:

Washington County Clerk Attn: Business License 111 East Tabernacle Street St. George, UT 84770

Fingerprints must be completed through the Washington County Justice Court. For more information, contact the Justice Court at 435.301.7480or Their office is located at:

Washington County Justice Court 197 East Tabernacle Street St. George, UT 84770

When all documentation is received, the license application will be reviewed for final approval and Local Consent.

If the application is denied, the applicant will have the opportunity to appeal to the Washington County Commission.

Forms and Resources

Business License Application (Renewal) – all licenses expire December 31st. Renewal forms will be sent to existing businesses in late November/early December. To receive a copy of your renewal form, please contact the Clerk-Auditor Department at 435.301.7220.

Business licenses issued by Washington County can be searched for here.

Licensing Jurisdictions

Washington County has business licensing jurisdiction for unincorporated business locations. Businesses located in cities or towns with their own licensing divisions are to license with those entities.

Washington County Jurisdiction: Brookside, Canaan Gap, Central, Dammeron Valley, Diamond Valley, East Enterprise Valley, Gunlock, Kolob Mountain, Leeds Area, Mountain Meadow, New Harmony Area, Pecan Valley, Pine Valley, Pinto, Pintura, Sky Ranch, Veyo, and Winchester.