Justice Court

Frequently Asked Questions

The Justice Court has moved around the corner. Our new address is 197 E Tabernacle Street (the old county administration building). For a map, please visit Google Maps.

I got a ticket. What do I do?

You must first determine if a court appearance is required. You may do this by accessing the Administrative Office of the Court’s State Bail Schedule. Many traffic tickets can be taken care of without a courtroom appearance either through the mail or at the Justice Court payment window.

You may make a payment in several different ways:

  1. You may send a cashier’s check or money order payable to the Washington County Treasurer to our address. Please ensure that your citation number or case number are printed clearly on the payment. If you don’t have those numbers, please make sure your name is written legibly on the payment.
  2. You may also pay online using a credit card or Visa check card. There is a convenience fee charge to you to use this service. The rate varies and you will be informed of it before you authorize the payment.
  3. You may pay by cash, cashier’s check, money order or business check at our payment window. You may also pay with a credit or debit card at our window with a minimal convenience fee. Our window does not close for lunch and our clerks are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. We are closed on all major holidays, except Columbus Day.

If you wish to have a receipt sent to you, you will need to send a self-addressed, stamped envelope along with your payment. If you pay by mail or by using a credit card on-line or over the phone, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you contact the court at least 1 week after paying to make sure your case was closed.

I would like to pay with a credit card

You can pay online using a credit card or Visa check card. If the ticket does not come up on your search, then wait a few days and try accessing again, as it can take up to 7 days for a ticket to appear on our system. Please make sure to select our Court in the drop down menu for Courts to ensure proper payment and that your name appears. Once you select the ticket and pay, the payment update is immediate. The case will be closed the following day.

If it has been more than 7 days since you received the ticket and it still isn’t coming up on the search, please contact the court.


You may appear in person at the Justice Court payment window at 197 East Tabernacle St., St. George, Utah.

Please be aware a processing fee is assessed when using each of these services. You will be notified of the fee before your payment is accepted. You will also need a citation or case number.

Can I do traffic school?

Citations issued within the jurisdiction of St George City may qualify for traffic school. Please call (435) 627-4600, and select option 1, or go to sgcity.org/trafficschool. Do not call this phone number if your ticket was not issued within the boundaries of St George City.

Currently, the Washington County Justice Court does not offer traffic school. You may attend the National Safety Council’s Defensive Driving Course if you wish which usually results in a reduction of 50 points being removed from your Utah driving record. Their address is: http://utahsafetycouncil.org/

This Court does not currently authorize traffic courses in other states for any defendant who has an out of state driver’s license in order to keep the ticket off their record. Please contact your state DMV for any questions you may have about how your ticket will affect your record.

Is it possible to keep a ticket from showing on my record?

Any considerations to be given to a defendant in keeping a ticket from showing on your record must be authorized by the prosecutor’s office and the Judge. In order to do this, you must set a court date. Further instructions will be given in court.

I wish to contest/fight the charges

If your charges are mandatory, you must set a court date in order to enter a not guilty plea. Please contact the court within your 14 days in order to set an arraignment court date.

Do I have to go to court?

If your charge is mandatory appearance required, then you need to schedule a court date. You may access the Administrative Office of the Court’s State Bail Schedule to assist you in determining if you need to set a court date. If you are unable to determine if you need a court date, please contact the court to assist you.

How do I apply for a public defender?

Public defenders may be appointed for indigent defendants by the court on a case by case basis. There may also be other limited reasons that a public defender could be granted. At your hearing, you may ask the Judge about a public defender to see if your case qualifies. You will need to submit an Affidavit of Indigency application to the court which will be reviewed by the Judge.

Can I get an extension to pay my fine?

Pursuant to Rule 4-704(1) of the Code of Judicial Administration, the clerks are allowed to give a short extension on payments of bail or fines. Please contact the court to see if you can receive an extension.

Can I make payments?

You must set a court date if you are in need of a payment plan. Payment plans are authorized by the Judge. Partial payments are not accepted. Contact the court to set a court date.

Is my license suspended?

Please contact the Driver’s License Division about questions concerning your license at (801) 965-4437 or toll free at (800) 222-0038. If it is determined that your license is suspended and you need further action from the court, please obtain a court case number so we may better assist you.

How much do I owe?

You may access the Administrative Office of the Court’s State Bail Schedule for information on bail amounts set by the State of Utah.

Please be aware that any charge requiring a mandatory court appearance will need to be addressed by the Court.

Do I have any warrants?

You may contact our court between the hours of 8-5pm Monday through Friday in order to determine if you have a warrant. Please be aware that the warrant will not be recalled until payment is received in full. You may set a court date, but the warrant remains active until either the bail is paid or you have been seen by a Judge. If you feel you have warrants in other courts, you may contact them individually or call the Bureau of Criminal Identification at (801) 965-4445 seven days a week, 24 hours a day. They will provide you with the name of the Court to contact, the case and warrant number. Please make sure you have a pen and paper ready before you call.

I received a letter from Driver’s License Division. What do I do?

If you have received a letter from Driver’s License Division, it is imperative that you act accordingly. Often you have a limited amount of time in which to avoid some type of action being taken on your license. Please contact Driver’s License Division at (801) 965-4437 or toll free at (800) 222-0038 for any questions you may have which are not answered in the letter.

If the letter directs you to contact the court, please contact us immediately at (435) 301-7480 so we may assist you.

How many points will this ticket add to my record?

Pleas refer to the Utah Driver Handbook for points assessed on certain violations or you may also contact Driver’s License Division directly at (801) 965-4437 or toll free (800) 222-0038.

How long do I have to change my driver’s license address?

Pursuant to 53-3-216, you are required to change your driver’s license address within ten (10) days of your move. If you possess a commercial driver’s license, you must change your address within thirty (30) days and you must do it in person at Driver’s License Division.

For this and any other driver’s license related questions, you may access the Driver’s License FAQ section at http://www.driverlicense.utah.gov/faq.html

Can I take the Defensive Driving Course?

The Defensive Driving Course can be taken once in a 3 year period for a reduction of 50 points off your Utah driving record, along with some other benefits. For more information on this course, please access the following: http://utahsafetycouncil.org/

How do I expunge my record?

You can obtain an expungement packet from the Washington County Justice Court for all cases that were handled in our Court only. Please contact the Court for the packet or visit the Expungement Info webpage. It includes instructions and forms that will need to be filled out by the appropriate parties. There is a total fee of $171 that will need to be paid to the Court. If the charge being expunged was originally dismissed (not through a plea in abeyance), there is no fee. Please be aware of the following time frames:

Dismissals: 30 days from closing date of the case. You may begin expungement proceedings, but the charge won’t be expunged until 30 days have run from the date of closing.

On most other cases, you must wait three (3) years from the case closing date with the EXCEPTION of Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol or Drugs and Alcohol Related Reckless convictions. The time period on those types of charges are ten (10) years from the closing date of the case. Step 1 on the Expungement Info webpage will give you the timeframes for the waiting periods for misdemeanors and infractions.

If you have any other questions regarding expungements, please contact the Court.

Where exactly is the Court located?

We are located on the southwest corner of St. George Blvd and 200 East, directly west of the Iceberg Drive-In. The building is called the Washington County Boulevard Office Building. Parking is located in the back of the building. There are either 3 flights of stairs or an elevator.

Washington County Justice Court
197 East Tabernacle St.
St. George, Utah  84790
Google Maps

Where can I find a provider for asssessments, treatments, community service or Interlock?

The following is a list of providers for assessments, treatments, community service or Prime for Life course or if you have been ordered to install an ignition interlock on your vehicle. Please remember to follow the time guidelines as laid out in court for providing proof of completion to the Court.

Agency Referral List

What information is there about Jury Service?

Jury Service Information