Due to current and forecasted weather conditions coupled with the extremely dry conditions in Washington County, the State Forester, in consultation with the county commission, has determined that measures must be taken to prevent the ignition of forest and rangeland fires. Therefore, pursuant to Utah State Law, Section 65A-8-212, the following acts are prohibited in the areas described below until rescinded by the Utah State Forester and the County Commission:
- Setting, building, maintaining, attending or using open fires of any kind, except within the facilities designated for them in improved campgrounds, picnic areas or home sites where running water is present.
- Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle, trailer or building, a developed recreation site or while stopped in an area that is paved or free from dry vegetation.
- Discharging or using any kind of fireworks, tracer ammunition or other pyrotechnic devices including exploding targets.
- Cutting, welding or grinding metal in areas of dry vegetation.
- Operating a motorcycle, chainsaw, ATV, or other small internal combustion engine without an approved and working spark arrestor.
The following persons are exempted from the above prohibitions:
- Persons with a permit or waiver specifically authorizing a specified act at a specific location.
- Any on-duty firefighter in the performance of an official duty.
All unincorporated private and all state lands within the following area:
This order does not affect private lands within incorporated towns or city limits.
Effective Date: 12:01 am, 20th day of June, 2017
Any of the above acts is a violation of state law and is punishable by up to 6 months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000. These restrictions will be enforced by county law enforcement.
RESOLUTION NO. R-2017-2214
A RESOLUTION OF WASHINGTON COUNTY ADOPTING THE FIRE RESTRICTIONS PROPOSED BY THE STATE FORESTER
WHEREAS, Washington County (“County”) recognizes the fire threat that naturally caused weather conditions pose to people and property within the County; and
WHEREAS, the County has participated in a cooperative agreement with the Utah Division of Forestry, Fire, and State Lands (FFSL) to manage wild fire risk; and
WHEREAS, FFSL has flagged the current weather conditions in Washington County as high risk for fires; and
WHEREAS, FFSL has proposed to Washington County a set of temporary fire restrictions aimed at minimizing the risk of human caused wild fires;
WHEREAS, it is in the best interests of the residents of Washington County that the temporary fire restrictions be approved.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE COUNTY COMMISSION OF WASHINGTON COUNTY, UTAH, that the fire restriction order proposed by the State Forester, attached as Exhibit A, is hereby adopted.
VOTED UPON AND PASSED BY THE WASHINGTON COUNTY COMMISSION AT A REGULAR MEETING OF THE WASHINGTON COUNTY COMMISSION HELD ON THE 20th DAY OF JUNE, 2017.