Washington County (“County”) is experiencing an “exceptional drought,” the most severe since the mid-1950’s;
WHEREAS, due to the current and forecasted weather conditions coupled with the extremely dry vegetation conditions in Southwest Utah, the Utah State Forester, in consultation with the county commission of each of the affect counties, has determined that measures must be taken to prevent the ignition of forest and rangeland fires;
Download copy of signed resolution R-2021-2780 by County & State
WHEREAS, pursuant to the attached Fire Restriction Order, and in accordance with Utah Code Section 65A-8-212, the following acts are prohibited in all unincorporated private and all state lands within Washington County:
- No open fires of any kind except within established public facilities in improved campgrounds, picnic areas. -OR- In permanently constructed fire pits at private homes where running water is present.
- Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle, trailer or building, a developed recreation site or while stopped in an area that is paved or free from dry vegetation.
- Discharging or using any fireworks, tracer ammunition or other pyrotechnic devices including exploding targets.
- Cutting, welding or grinding metal in areas of dry vegetation.
- Operating a motorcycle, chainsaw, ATV, or other small internal combustion engine without an approved and working spark arrestor.
WHEREAS, the Fire Restriction Order also lists two small categories of exempt persons from these rules;
WHEREAS, any of the above acts is a violation of state law and is punishable by up to 6 months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000; and
WHEREAS, supporting the Fire Restriction Order is in the public interest and preserves the community’s economic, environmental, recreational and aesthetic resources.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE COUNTY COMMISSION OF WASHINGTON COUNTY, UTAH, that Washington County supports the attached Fire Restriction Order.
VOTED UPON AND PASSED BY THE WASHINGTON COUNTY COMMISSION AT A REGULAR MEETING OF THE WASHINGTON COUNTY COMMISSION HELD ON THE 1st DAY OF JUNE, 2021.